Paseo Park Bellaire, TX – Showcases History + Beauty
Paseo Park Bellaire, TX. is located on an esplanade in the middle of busy Bellaire Boulevard between the blocks of 4800 to 5000. The zip code is 77401. Homes as well as businesses front either side of this wide 6.5 acre park. We choose one of the public parking areas in one of the business lots to park our car and then explored this unique park on foot in early February of 2018.
Mini Murals are popping up all across the Houston Metro Area. Artists are commissioned to decorate utility boxes that would otherwise appear drab and simply utilitarian. The one pictured above is at one end of the Paseo Park with another one on the opposite side at Bellaire @ First Street.
The colors on these mini murals seem to pop even more because of our recent freezing weather affecting grass and plants in our area.
Bellaire Streetcar Line
At one time there was a streetcar line which connected Bellaire to Houston’s Main Street. There are plaques installed as well as a Texas Historical Commission sign detailing information regarding the Bellaire Streetcar Line.
The Texas Historical Commission sign installed in 1993 shows the following information:
“Bellaire Streetcar Line
In 1909 the Westmoreland Railroad Company, directed by Bellaire developer William Wright Baldwin, began construction of a streetcar line between this site and Houston’s Main Street (4 MI.E) to improve transportation between Bellaire and Houston. Laid out on the esplanade of Bellaire Boulevard, the streetcar line consisted of one railway track and an overhead electric wire. The line terminated at this site, where the company constructed a waiting pavilion and a turnaround loop. At the same time, the Houston Electric Company extended its south end line from Eagle Avenue down present Fannin Street to connect with the Bellaire line at Bellaire Boulevard (now a part of Holcombe Boulevard). The trip between Bellaire and downtown Houston required one transfer at Eagle Avenue. Service began on December 28, 1910.
The streetcar line, often called the “Toonerville Trolley”, became an integral link between Bellaire and Houston and played a vital role in the development of this area. The availability of motor transport and frequent derailments caused by worn-out track led to the abandonment of the line on September 26, 1927. Motor bus service began the following day.”
This streetcar is similar to the one that once helped connect Bellaire to Houston. It was purchased in Portugal and put on permanent display in 1985.
Ending of Texas Revolution
The Texas Historical Commission sign installed in Paseo Park in the year 1989 reads as follows:
“Texan Capture of Mexican Dispatches
The San Jacinto Campaign in Southwest Harris County
After the fall of the Alamo on March 6, 1836, Gen. Sam Houston led the Texan army in retreat from Gonzales. The Mexican army under Gen. Santa Anna followed eastward from San Antonio. On April 14, while Houston’s army was north of him, Santa Anna led a division of his army from the Brazos River near present Richmond to Harrisburg. He crossed present southwest Harris County, then an uninhabited prairie, and reached Harrisburg (12 miles east of this site) on April 15. The Mexicans burned Harrisburg on April 17 and continued marching east.
Houston’s army, arriving at Buffalo Bayou opposite Harrisburg on April 18, found the town in ruins, but did not know the whereabouts of the Mexican army. That day, Texan scouts led by Erastus “Deaf” Smith captured three Mexicans, including Capt. Miguel Bachiller, a courier, and a guide in this vicinity. The prisoners and their dispatches revealed the location, size, and plans of the Mexican army. With this vital intelligence, Houston intercepted Santa Anna’s march on April 20 and defeated his division with a surprise attack on April 21 at the San Jacinto River. The Battle of San Jacinto ended the Texas Revolution and secured the independent Republic of Texas.”
Clock in Paseo Park
This lovely clock was donated to the City of Bellaire by the Bellaire / Southwest Houston Rotary Club 2011-2012. Inscribed near the bottom of the clock is this: It is always time for “Service Above Self”
Monument Honoring Bellaire Residents Who Defended Our Country
The monolithic sculpture in Paseo Park has the following inscription:
To honor all of the patriots who have fought in defending our country during the first 200 years of its existence, and in honor and fond memory of those residents of the Bellaire community who made the supreme sacrifice.
Erected by Bellaire Bicentennial Commission and the Citizens of Bellaire. 1976″
Open The Door Art Sculptures
About midway in Paseo Park are 5 pieces of public art from the Open The Door public art project. We first noticed some of these artfully painted door sculptures at the site of a gigantic mural titled Preservons la Creation in Houston where some of them were on temporary display. We have spotted others in Oyster Creek Park in Sugar Land as well as near the Vietnam War Memorial on Bellaire Boulevard in Houston. The City of Bellaire acquired these 5 doors out of the 60 that were created in order to display them in this park. Both sides of each door were painted sometimes by one artist and often by two different artists.
Five artists from Houston had a hand in creating one side of a door. They are the following: Linh Tran Do, Michael Martin, Quentin Pace, Daniel Anguilu and Karla Morales.
Paris, France is the home of these artists who created one or in two cases shown above both sides of an art door. They are the following: Romain Froquet, Stephane Carricondo, Sylvie Delusseau and Anne Maizia.
History of Bellaire on Plaques
History of this area can be found on plaques installed by the Bellaire Arts Commission. One of the plaques reads as follows:
“Alfred J. Condit House, damaged in 1915 hurricane. The home of Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Condit still stands on the northwest corner of Bellaire Blvd. and First Street. During the hurricane this house lost its roof and second floor, and the city lost a third of its buildings. After the hurricane everyone gathered at Condit School with food to share.”
Another plaque relates to the first Bellaire Mission Presbyterian Church.
This is the church as it stands today. A Texas Historical Commission sign erected in 1994 reads as follows:
“Bellaire Presbyterian Church
Bellaire residents founded the non-denominational Bellaire Union Congregational Church and Sunday School in 1911. Services and classes were held in the local school building and the town’s streetcar terminal known as the “pavilion.”
In 1919 many members of Bellaire Union and others petitioned the First Presbyterian Church of Houston to establish a presence in the community. The Bellaire Mission was established on April 5, 1919, with the Rev. R.L. Jetton as pastor. Later that year the first church building was erected on land donated by D.T. Austin.
The Rev. Robert H. Bullock became the Mission’s first full-time pastor in 1940 and in 1942 a new brick sanctuary was dedicated. The Mission became self-supporting in 1943 when the congregation became known as the “Bellaire Presbyterian Church.”
During the mid-1950s Bellaire Presbyterian helped establish several churches in the area. Membership in the congregation grew rapidly and in 1957 a new 1000-seat sanctuary was constructed at this site. The congregation reached 1,794 members by 1963.
Bellaire Presbyterian has played an important role in the history of Bellaire and represents the oldest continuing congregation in the community.”
Metro Bellaire Transit Center
This transit center which is situated just to the west of Paseo Park seems an appropriate setting since the first trolley and rail line from Bellaire to Houston was once located nearby.
By now you should be able to see why when titling this post I mentioned history plus beauty when describing Paseo Park in Bellaire, Texas. It will be even more beautiful at other times of the year when the crape myrtle trees are in bloom and the wide expanse of grass resumes its normal green coloration. History is still being made in Bellaire. It is interesting looking back at some of its past.